Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 1995 18:44:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu, terry@lambert.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel versions and config's rm -rf

> > > So why does the 'config' process delete the directory?
> >
> > It doesn't on my machines...  I believe that it is fundamentally
> > broken to have config(8) even capable of blowing a directory away like
> > that.  Unfortunately, I have consistently lost that argument.
>
> Well, I agree with you.

Make that three old farts in agreement :-)...

> Which I guess is a guarantee that everyone will polarize in the opposite
> direction.  8-).

I think age will be the splitting factor here :-).  Those of us who have
been around config(8) for years have no problems understanding why some
things just don't go right and just how to blow away the right .o files
and get back rather quickly.  Others who have not been doing this for
years simply take the slow, but guaranteed to work way out of rm'ing
the whole pile :-(.

Maybe if they had to build BSD 4.2 kernels on VAX 11/730's they might
appreciate our point a little more...  with the event of boxes that
can compile the whole world in 3 hrs and a kernel in 8 minutes you
tend to start getting rather sloppy about dependency tree maintenance :-(.