Date:      Sat, 24 Mar 2001 01:32:45 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        support@primenet.com
Subject:   ISP pooping out; any BSD friendly ISP out there????

Primenet, whom I have been very happy with for many years, and
have recommended without reservation to other people, resulting
in more than a few customers for them, was purchased a while
ago.  It stayed the same great service after that, and I had no
real complaints.

Everything was fine until very recently, when they decided to
retire their shell account services, and sell their existing
dialup user base to EarthLink, which does not off shell account
access, and is not UNIX friendly (they want to send me a CDROM
with a customized version of a browser and other Windows
programs, on the theory that I am either a Windows user, or am
short of coasters).

Since I know that UUNET charges $9.00 in bulk for dialup points
of presence for month, I am totally mystified as to why they
are throwing away $11.00/month in revenue; it can't be costing
them that much to run their BSDi boxes on which their shell
accounts are located.

This looks like an attempt to turn customers into a round of
funding, to me, since that is the only reason I can think of to
turn over an exisiting positive revenue stream.

--

So... I am now looking for a BSD/non-fixed-access friendly ISP.

I need a shell account; minimally, it needs to be able to run
"elm", so I can get at my email from work or from home, without
it having to be POP'ed off, and become inaccessible, unless I
bring a work machine home or a home machine to work.  In other
words, I need to be able to get to a single shell, regardless of
whether I am dialing up from home or the road, or telnet'ing in
from work or a borrowed machine.

I would like it if I could run traceroute, nslookup, and whois,
as well, so that I can do directional diagnostics from another
point on the net, when I'm having local connectivity trouble
somewhere with a leased line link.  It would be annoying, but I
can live without that, if I can just get a shell account with
elm access.

The ISP should permit dialup access, and not care about specific
client type (e.g. I will sometimes use a BSD box, and sometimes
use another box, to dialin).  In particular, it should not be
Windows-only (though I may use a Windows box, if that's all I
can borrow, when travelling, it can't be a requirement).

I'm looking for some DNS on top of that (but I could have NSI
or whoever do the mail forwarding for me, since almost all
registrars offer that service for free these days, anyway):

The ISP should be willing to set up MX records and an entry for
a single account in a virtusertable so that mail to any address
in a domain ends up in a single maildrop,ie:

	tlambert@isp.com	->	tlambert/.incoming-mail
	xxx@lambert-org 	->	tlambert/.incoming-mail
	terry@lambert.org	->	tlambert/.incoming.mail

(or wherever incoming mail is stored).