Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2001 14:28:32 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
To:        alex@big.endian.de
Cc:        Antoine.Beaupre@ericsson.ca, jhb@FreeBSD.ORG, richy@apple.com, libh@FreeBSD.ORG, will@physics.purdue.edu
Subject:   Re: packagetool.tcl

It's a good goal, but don't be surprised if you end up having to
compromise a fair bit in achieving it.  You can't simply "wrap"
old packages because they suffer from several problems:

    1. The PLIST and other descriptive meta-data in old packages
       is a significant subset of the libh meta-data, and you may
       not find it to be expressive enough in all cases to get close
       enough to a 1-to-1 mapping for an old package to work as a new
       package.

    2. The PLISTs allow arbitrary executables and scripts to be run
       as part of their actions.  For some arguments that a PLIST entry
       wants to pass to system(3), like mv(1) or cp(1) lines, you may
       be able to convert it to a plausible TCL command which will then
       be appropriately checked against the package or system's
       current security policy.  This you can probably do in 70-80% of
       the cases if you're willing to put in the work of parsing the
       PLIST arguments.  The others will have to be rejected because
       a very STRONG part of libh's advertised feature set is that the
       administrator now gets total control over what a package will
       attempt to do to their system.  You can't simply propagate
       arbitrary shell commands forward or you've seriously violated
       the trust model.  In that respect, it would be better for
       old packages to stay in their old format so that the admin
       has to explicitly run pkg_add(1) instead and know that in so
       doing, [s]he's back in the bad old world of no seat belts.

- Jordan