Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 1996 10:58:33 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        jmb@freefall.freebsd.org (Jonathan M. Bresler), freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Helllp :-)

<<On Sun, 4 Aug 1996 19:19:35 -0500 (CDT), Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com> said:

> I've been a little unhappy with just how hard that poor drive has been
> getting hammered anyways (sounds like rapid machine gun fire as Sendmail
> iterates through the queue, it's an older Wren drive, and with 752
> queued requests right now it's busy for a fair portion of each half
> hour).

People in .edu seem to be generally better-connected (except for a few
consistent mis-behavers).  Perhaps this is because MIT is
better-connected than most other places in the world.  At the moment I
have 61 requests in the queue, most for freelist@elf.kendall.mdcc.edu
and caj@tower.stc.housing.washington.edu.  I wish that Mr. `caj' would
give himself an MX record for something more reachable (I suspect
`tower' is only reachable part-time); that would eliminate most of my
queue right there.

As for the amount of logging, this month so far it's not too bad:

wollman@halloran-eldar(445)$ du -ks /var/adm/syslog.dated/*
2859    /var/adm/syslog.dated/01-Aug-00:00
2067    /var/adm/syslog.dated/02-Aug-00:00
2698    /var/adm/syslog.dated/03-Aug-00:00
2210    /var/adm/syslog.dated/04-Aug-00:00
850     /var/adm/syslog.dated/05-Aug-00:00

(This is an OSF/1 machine running sendmail 5.)

-GAWollman

MIT, LCS, ANA, or NSA|                     - Susan Aglukark and Chad Irschick