Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 2001 22:53:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      zeek <zeek@sparklehouse.com>
To:        AIC7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        zeek@sparklehouse.com
Subject:   ibm ultrastar / parity error / recovery code sleeping

To: AIC7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
From: zeek@sparklehouse.com

Greetings,

I recently rebuilt my system last weekend (OS changes only) from RH
7.0 with a custom linux-2.4.0-test10 kernel to RH 7.1 (beta) with
the 2.4.0-0.99.11smp kernel.

I'm having problems with an IBM Ultrastar 36ZX (model DMVS36V) disk
attached to a 29160N (2.57 firmware). On the boot right after installation
of RH7.1, when cylcing through the disks, I get messages which include:

READ CAPACITY FAILED
parity error detected in Data-in phase
Recovery code sleeping

There are other msgs but too verbose to transcribe and send in this email,
but I think this is a sufficient summary. I'll note the only pins jumpered
on this disk are for auto-start. I've not disabled parity checking on the
host adapter because I'm not sure if that's a bad thing.

I've looked through the various docs, done searches, etc. but the only
clue I can find is the lines in aic7xxx.c and aic7xxx.h in
2.4.0-0.99.11smp are nearly twice as long than those in linux-2.4.0-test10.
And that's why I'm writing to you :-).

I remember this problem with the RH 7.0 beta, but it was upon install only.
And that was back in the day where one could alt-f2 to see what was going
on with the drivers -no longer unfortunately.

I'm not expecting a silver bullet to get this working, just please pass
this on to the concerned groups at RedHat... or maybe this could offer
those of you doing driver development some insight. BTW, thank you for
your efforts -you're the people behind this revolution goshdarnit.

I will most likely roll back to my previous config until RH 7.1 has
passed beta. But if there's someone out there that wants me to test
something I can maybe reproduce this within the next 10 days.

Cheers,
-zeek

---
 s p a r k l e h o u s e  m e d i a