Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 10:08:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To:        Chad Ziccardi <zicc@bellatlantic.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@veldy.net>
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Re: Xfree-4 WAS: Re: Proper method of updating XFree86]

http://jpj.net/~trevor/xfree.html

> From: Chad Ziccardi <zicc@bellatlantic.net>
> > > Being it is not a registered pkg, I cannot do a make deinstall or a
> pkg_delete.
> > >
> > > What is the best way to update and be able to not leave anything from
> the old
> > > distibution that can affect the performance or stability of the update?
> > >
> > > Or
> > >
> > > Is there an issue to worry about?

I've noticed these problems:

- the format of XF86Config has changed, so I had to make minor changes to
the working one I had.

- the xterm that comes with XFree86 4.0 doesn't display colors correctly
when I do

	set prompt="%{\e[32;43m%}%~%{\e[37;40m%} "

in tcsh.  Saving the 3.3.6 xterm or using one from Thomas Dickey's site
might do the trick.  Someone was working on a port of the latter.

- I haven't figured out how to get the 4.0 X server to play nicely with
moused.  I had

	Device      "/dev/sysmouse"

in my old XF86Config file and was able to use the mouse both in X and in
text mode.  XFree86 4.0 won't use that.  What I'm doing at the moment is
killing moused before switching to X, then running it again when I switch
back to text mode.  If I switch into X while moused is running, I'll have
to log in over the network to kill moused, because the keyboard becomes
unusable (of course, the power switch still works).

> > I just cvsup'd to 4-stable, currently under the new ports as well,
> > /usr/ports/x11/Xfree-4 is forbidden (yup I could comment the line out, and
> > I have, since no one can reach that computer (rarely attached to my
> > network))
> >
> > If the port maintainer knows the problem and thus it's marked forbidden,
> > why not just fix it? Maybe I'm off base here, and thus I apologize.

I've prepared a patch that fixes it for me.  I e-mailed it yesterday to
the person who reported the problem on BUGTRAQ, the maintainer of the
XFree86-4 port, the person who marked the port forbidden, and the
freebsd-ports mailing list, asking them to review it.  So far there has
been no response.  The message is archived at
http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/FreeBSD/167/25/3781546/ and the patch
itself is at http://jpj.net/~trevor/freebsd/ports/xfree.diff .
--
Trevor Johnson