Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 2000 18:36:30 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marc van Woerkom <marc.vanwoerkom@science-factory.com>
To:        dk@plab.ku.dk
Cc:        marko@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: compile in a.out

> So, if you can't compile the thing in aout, there is a question:
> is FreeBSD supports aout development _at all_? There's no documentation and no examples;
> I found the object files on the neighbour machine and I succeed compiling my .so file,
> but it's not working - and I don't know, whether it's because the linker options were set wrong or
> because of any other reason? I couldn't find anything related to aout options and considerations.
> And, my point of view is, if even freebsd _can_ compile in aout, what does it worth if one can't figure out
> how?

A FreeBSD flavour of a.out was used in old FreeBSD versions, the
transition to ELF happened something during 4.0-CURRENT (wasn't that
last year?).

I don't know if it is intended for recent versions to generate
valid a.out somehow.

What should be still possible is to run them.

Example:
The FreeBSD netscape version was a.out the last time I looked.
You also needed X11 a.out libs for it to work.
This stuff was put into a compatibility package.

Eg this

    ftp://ftp.freesoftware.com/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.1-RELEASE/compat3x/

Regards,
Marc