Date:      Sun, 2 Jul 2006 11:49:50 +0200
From:      Miguel Mendez <mmendez@energyhq.be>
To:        Christian Zander <czander@nvidia.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NVIDIA FreeBSD kernel feature requests

--Signature=_Sun__2_Jul_2006_11_49_50_+0200_2W40b2VpcOOz+tYZ

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 13:12:31 +0200
Christian Zander <czander@nvidia.com> wrote:

Hi,

I just saw an article on OSNews about this, seems I missed it.

> NVIDIA has been looking at ways to improve its graphics driver for the
> FreeBSD i386 platform, as well as investigating the possibility of adding
> support for the FreeBSD amd64 platform, and identified a number of
> obstacles. Some progress has been made to resolve them, and NVIDIA would

Yes, I'll tell you what the obstacle is: Lack of documentation. If you
guys released the specs of your hardware this wouldn't be a problem.
Maybe not for the latest GPUs but I'm sure a lot people would be happy
if they could use not-so-new NVidia hardware on FreeBSD/amd64. I built
and AMD64 box from scratch with the sole purpose of running
FreeBSD/amd64 on it. When it came time to choose the gfx card the choice
was obvious: Ati Radeon 9250.

I know that a lot of FreeBSDers are more than happy to have proprietary
drivers which I personlly won't touch with the proverbial 10 foot
pole :)

So please, do tell, is there any _real_ problem with releasing a
register spec doc for last year's hardware so amd64 users can hope to
have more than a framebuffer some day? How about the proprietary
nforce4 chipset?

Cheers.
--=20
Miguel Mendez	<mmendez@energyhq.be>=20