Date:      Sat, 16 Jun 2001 19:54:40 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Brian Mitchell <bem@atlanta-bsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Article: Network performance by OS

At 6:37 PM -0400 6/16/01, Brian Mitchell wrote:
>I'm not convinced there is any such thing as a fair benchmark,
>nor am I convinced that benchmarks are valuable. Clearly the
>benchmark cited is flawed, but what benchmark is not?

I must admit I (personally) have a major ambivalence towards
benchmarks.  I want to see them, I'm always interested in
reading them, and yet at the end of the day I almost never
really believe anything they say...

Well, some ones I believe, if there are very few significant
variables between the things being benchmarked.  Comparing
PowerPC 603's to PowerPC 603e's, for instance.

Once you get to anything where you're changing cpu's AND
os's AND compilers AND hardware AND hw configurations AND
OS configuration experience, AND AND AND...   well, it's
just hopeless.  At best they give you some ideas of what
should be done differently in "a follow-up benchmark",
to maybe perhaps get a more valid comparison on that one.
Not that I'll believe that one either, but I might at least
think "it's a better comparison".