Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 13:28:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        davebullock@dwindledistribution.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: chmod to death!

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999 davebullock@dwindledistribution.com wrote:

> I really blew it... I did 'chmod -R 4755 /'

If you were logged in as root (not su'd), I rest my case.

> Now I can't log in.  I have tried doing upgrade and install and
> neither have worked.

You'll have to use 'mtree' to restore the permissions on the system
installed files.  You'll have to do ths as root or single user; try typing
'boot -s' at the boot: prompt to get there.

You should run the following:

mount -u /
mount -a    # this will get your filesystems back
cd /
/usr/sbin/mtree -eU -f /etc/mtree/BSD.root.dist
cd /usr
/usr/sbin/mtree -eU -f /etc/mtree/BSD.usr.dist
cd /var
/usr/sbin/mtree -eU -f /etc/mtree/BSD.var.dist

That should fix permissions enough to get the system booting again.
You'll have to fix any added programs yourself (like ports).

> When I try to use a holographic shell it just says 'Error ( expected'
> and when I put an open parenthesis in front of my command it gives me
> a '>' and then when I enter commands on that line nothing happens all
> I can do is 'Ctl-C' out of it.

The fixit environment is fairly limited.  You should be able to boot to
single user mode though.

Doug White