Date:      Sun, 5 Oct 1997 19:56:32 GMT
From:      Adam David <adam@veda.is>
To:        grog@lemis.COM (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Staying -current with FreeBSD

>                    +-------------------------+-----------+
>                    |Component                | Size (MB) |
>                    +-------------------------+-----------+
>                    |Repository src/sys       |        53 |
>                    |Repository src           |       330 |
>                    |Repository ports         |        36 |
>                    |Source tree /usr/src/sys |        65 |
>                    |Source tree /usr/src     |       225 |
>                    |Source tree /usr/ports   |       200 |
>                    |Object tree src          |       160 |
>                    +-------------------------+-----------+

>In fact, I measured 224 MB for ports, but as I observe, you
>could fill up several gigabytes of disk with ports if you wanted to.
>200 MB is comfortable if you do a make clean from time to time.

It is valid as an example datapoint, but the size of /usr/ports
containing distfiles and .../work) is equivalent to the question
"how long is a piece of string?". Therefore it would be a better
indication to display the size of the checked out ports tree
before any fetching is done.

|       Adam David       |  What's a bigger annoyance than toll bridges?  |
|     <adam@veda.is>     |  Bill Gates!                                   |
|  Because we're _still_ waiting for him to put the curtains on Windows!  |