Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 2002 11:14:22 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        kalts@estpak.ee
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: smbfs problems

[ ... smbfs ... ]

Vallo Kallaste wrote:
> Now the writing part:
>
> After creating 5MB file using /dev/urandom, I'm trying to copy it
> over to users/vallo smb share mounted at /mnt, which fails. The copy
> is interruptible using Ctrl-C. Examination at NT4 server shows 0
> byte file. Umount of /mnt fails with device busy. Umount -f /mnt
> fails to return prompt, but after interrupting the smbfs is
> unmounted.  There is no kernel messages or something in syslog. The
> copy operation returns failure ~3 seconds after start.

Try using 'dd' instead of 'cp', or the patch I posted last night.

The "shows 0 byte file" is a normal artifact of how file
metadata is handled in Windows filesystems: unlike UNIX, a
partial file does not have the metadata, including the file
size, updated until the file is closed.  Therefore FTP restart
is pretty meaningless on Windows, unless you have an FTP client
that closes and reopens for writing the file it is transferring
at intervals, among other things -- one of which is that any
interrupted create operation will leave a 0 length file.

I don't know why your umount fails with "device busy"; what you
need to do is look at the connections which are open, and why it
cares about whether or not they are abandoned, in the unmount
case.  I rather expect that the connection(s) are jammed up, so
you can't close them so you have virtual circuit instances that
you can't get rid of.  I would expect even a "force" to take
whatever time it takes to dump the open handles, plus 2MSL plus
however much time it keeps the connection in the half-close
state, waiting for a FIN/ACK from the server.

-- Terry