Date:      Sat, 9 Sep 2000 10:12:37 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>
To:        Ulf.Erikson@sm.luth.se
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to configure the kernel?

> I have successfully managed to install FreeBSD (4.1-RELEASE) for the first
> time. The Handbook suggests me to recompile the kernel if I wish to add or
> subtract support for different devices. I would like to do both, but how?
> Sure, I know how to copy GENERIC and modify it, but _how_ can I find out
> what lines are needed and what to add to have support for my hardware?
>
> To strip the kernel I tried to read the boot-log and only keep devices that
> had been mentioned there. That didn't work:) Any good hints?

	Yep, that's what you do. If you look at LINT it's heavily
commented about what devices can be used and suggested default settings
for the devices. :)

> My struggles to add support for this networks card included a few
> recompilings of the kernel. I found /etc/defaults/pccards which says it is
> an 'ep' device. But that one is already in the generic kernel, and 'MAKEDEV'
> only gives me an error. The solution though ended up as a simple
> 'pccard_enable="YES"'-line in /etc/rc.conf. Should I have known?

	It took me a while to figure that one out too... look in
/etc/defaults/rc.conf for the possible settings to /etc/rc.conf, it's
pretty heavily commented also.

> Now it works nicely with kernel.GENERIC but one thing.. It takes time for
> the card to be identified. Often the log-in prompt is up before the card is
> recogniced. This gives me that I have to issue the "ifconfig" and "route"
> commands manually to set things up. What can I do to make sure all happens
> in the right order (or at the right speed)?

	It's supposed to do it 'automatically.' I have the same problem
and just haven't had the time to sit down and do something about it. You
may want to ask over on freebsd-mobile though. :)

					Rick