Date:      Sat, 16 Jun 2001 05:48:50 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steveo@eircom.net>
Cc:        freebsd@nc.rr.com, behanna@zbzoom.net, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: shutdown not completing

Steve O'Hara-Smith <steveo@eircom.net> types:
> On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 04:48:07 -0500
> Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org> wrote:
> MM> You left out what I think is the best reason of all: If the new kernel
> MM> fails to boot for some reason, it's trivial to back out an
> MM> installkernel, but a major PITA to back out an installworld.
>
> 	This is why a reboot before installworld is a *good* idea. It has little
> to do with running installworld multi-user.
>
> 	It is *possible* to let the boot sequence complete all the way and then
> run installworld multiuser, *most* of the time it will work but another reboot
> would be wise after mergemaster to make sure that the running daemons and the
> config files are consistent (POLA).

My standard update sequence involves booting the new kernel multiuser,
then shutting down to single user. I do that because the test box that
I always install on first mounts the source and object trees via nfs,
and that's the easiest way to get them mounted. I then run
installworld and mergemaster in single-user mode, and reboot yet again
to make sure everything is going to be fine.

Even after doing all that on the test box, I still reboot to single
user after doing installkernel on everything else, as not all the
systems use the same drivers, so that particular kernel needs to be
checked.

	<mike