Date:      Tue, 07 Feb 2012 23:25:28 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        se@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal ipv6_addrs_common

----Security_Multipart(Tue_Feb__7_23_25_29_2012_419)--

Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org> wrote
  in <4F3100C3.4040700@freebsd.org>:

se> Sorting works just fine for this purpose, at least on my rc.conf files.
se> But I do not use loops or other control structures, just simple variable
se> initializations in them. And I do not use the sorted file as actual
se> rc.conf file, just look for differences between files.
se>
se> A utility that compares rc.conf files might be very useful and I think
se> that should be a valuable addition to sysrc. E.g. a function to compare
se> /etc./rc.conf with a template file, to compare two rc.conf files and to
se> list differences in diff style, or to "grep" lines selected by a
se> template file out of rc.conf, etc.

 Agreed.  I received the same kind of requests from a company that I
 am working with.  To compare rc.conf variables between two machines
 is difficult because the configurations come from various sources.
 It is also difficult to know which is the default value and which is
 configured.  I am working on this issue in parallel, so another
 proposal will be posted separately later.

se> >  I will try to create another patch to support a separator other than
se> >  a newline, anyway.
se>
se> Dirk Engling suggested to use white space as separator and to interpret
se> "inet" and "inet6" as (optional) AF indicators. I like this idea a lot!

 Okay.  I do not stick to a way with multiple lines.  Thank you for
 your feedback.

-- Hiroki