Date:      Wed, 8 Sep 2004 09:53:32 -0700
From:      Karl Swartz <karl@kls2.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

> Client host rejected: cannot find your hostname, [209.x.y.z]
>
> 209.x.y.z is a static address with a DNS entry courtesy of my ISP.
>
> Any idea what the list's mta is looking for and how I can provide it?

By obfuscating the last three octets you destroyed the evidence needed
to fully help you.  The error text (cannot find your hostname) suggests
you don't have reverse DNS -- mail admins increasingly won't accept mail
from such hosts because that's often a sign of a mismanaged network
which also happens to be spewing spam.

However, your message includes a full 209 address in the headers:

209.240.79.79 does have reverse DNS, so if that's the address that was
not being accepted by the freebsd mail server it's a bit more puzzling.
Perhaps reverse DNS was temporarily unavailble.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	karl@kls2.com		http://www.kls2.com/~karl/
  - Andrew A. Rooney