Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 1998 10:25:58 -0700
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        rotel@indigo.ie
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPro vs PII

Niall Smart wrote:

> Hrm, I didn't realise I'd forwarded this to the list.

O well  :-)

> > PPro 180/256 ~= $99 each.
> >
> > PPro 166/512 ~= $145 each.
> >
> > Bought my 166s new, OEM from Micro-Xpress, running perfectly happily
> > @ 233Mhz :=)
>
> Well, this is the big decision, 166->233 sounds very ambitious, and I
> don't want a computer that blows things around my room. :)

Neither do I. And a computer that flakes out when you're trying touse it is
utterly pointless.

That said, they've been running @ 233 Mhz, 24/7 for months. No crashes, no
lockups.

However, they're NOT running stupid little $10 fans, they're running an
efficient (big) heatsink and 20CFM fans. With thermal compound. And an
extra case fan, in a big case.

They actually run considerably cooler @ 233 than the 200Mhz P6 in a
standard
Micron (my machine at work is stock, and border-line thermally unstable due

to an inferior fan-and-no-heatsink design - it won't boot @ 233, and
crashes
sometimes @ 200 {A/C not very effective in my office}).

Now, in this instance, /266/ is too ambitious for my home machine - they
won't load the FreeBSD kernel at that speed :=)

>  I'm thinking
> 2xP200/256 running at 75 * 3, (not sure if thats possible with the LX)

Intel chipsets don't officially support any bus speed higher than 66Mhz
until the BX, IIRC.Read the (-smp) archives. Some time ago, someone asked
whether to gofor 180/256 or 166/512 for SMP.

They were advised to get the largest L2 cache possible for SMP, as this
would
more than offset the effect of the slower clock speed.

That advice arrived in the nick of time for me - at the time, the 180s were

nearly as expensive as the 166s, only $10 cheaper.

And I knew that it would be a cruel fate indeed that wouldn't let me take
a 'GenuineIntel' 166Mhz CPU to 180..

> or 66 * 3.5.  Surely the 166/512's were the ones that wouldn't run
> reliably at 200?

Obviously not...They ran perfectly happily @ 200 as well :=)

Interestingly, the CPU id from my 166s is exactly the same as the one from
my 200, from dmesg:

<snip> /kernel: CPU: Pentium Pro (686-class CPU)
<snip> /kernel:   Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x619  Stepping=9

> How long does it take you to buildworld?

Just over 90 minutes. NOPROFILE=true, CFLAGS="-O -pipe", with -j24,
target filesystem mounted with noatime, async

The Seagate Hawk 4 (SCA->Fast Wide) drive used for both the source and the
object files is probably the reason that this isn't faster. But a brand new
4Gb drive
for $139? I couldn't resist it :=)

Anyway, a discussion about overclocking is getting a litle off-topic for
SMP, so,
whilst I'd be happy to discuss it with anyone interested via email, let's
trim the cc
line?

Cheers,

AS