Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 1999 07:23:40 +1100 (EDT)
From:      "loren" <lore@phile.com.au>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Changing a user's UID

Thanks to all who contributed. The problem was that I was just
canging the /etc/passwd and /etc/master.passwd files manually
and not updating the database. After hearing of vipw and reading
man pages, voila! No more problems!

Well almost no more. I did intend to use "chown" to change the
ownerships but I'm getting some rather unusal results when there
are symbolic links involved, and in changing the dot files in the
root of the user's home directory. eg.

If I "cd ~username" then
"chown --recursive username:groupname *", the dot files
(like .profile or .cshrc) don't change ownership to the new UID.
No probs, so I do a "chown -R uname:gname .*" and the files
change OK, but so does the ownership of the /home directory.
eeek!

and If I do a "chown -R uname:gname *", the files in every other
user's directory under the /home file system changes as well!

Is there any info around with a fuller explanation of the options
of the chown command for a newbie other than the man pages?

Cheers
Phillip