Date:      Tue, 15 Jun 1999 00:30:33 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        LutzRab@omc.net
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New Attack via sendmail?

In message <199906141930.VAA14403@office.omc.net> "Lutz Rabing" writes:
: I've seen some pretty strange lines in syslog of one of our webservers.
:
: The box is running 2.2.8 with sendmail 8.9.3 and has never been out of
: swap space before, in fact it's not using swap space at all under normal
: conditions.

Have you used gdb to get a traceback sendmail.core?  Have you
considered building sendmail from sources and installing that binary
if you have the stripped binary installed?

I've not heard of attack like this recently.

Also, I'd take a look at cucipop.  It may be the case that it, or
something else, is eating all the memory, causing problems for
sendmail, et al.  'ps auxww' should help next time this happens.

Warner