Date:      Sun, 11 Feb 2024 20:43:59 +0100
From:      Mario Marietto <marietto2008@gmail.com>
To:        Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: How to use the L4 Microkernel with a FreeBSD userland.

--00000000000019a36f0611206470

ok. But what does this mean ? That I can use whatever Linux distro I want ?
Or even the FreeBSD world ?

On Sun, Feb 11, 2024 at 7:59=E2=80=AFPM Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com> wr=
ote:

> [...]
> sure that it can be done,because it is written clearly on their website :
> >

> > http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/L4Re/download/snapshots/
> >

> > on the section :
> > Host system requirements
> > The host system shall be a 64bit-based system with a recent Linux
> distribution installed and at least 2GB of free disk space.
> > All necessary tools required by the build are available from the
> provided packages of the Linux distributions, including cross compilers.
> But there are also other cross compiler packages available (see below). Y=
ou
> might want to run make check_build_tools in the src/l4 directory to verif=
> the common tools are installed.
> > You are free to use any Linux distribution you like, or even BSDs or an=
> of its derivatives. But then you should know the game. Especially tool
> versions should be recent, as installed on the listed distributions below=
.
> > We are confident that the snapshot works on the following distributions=
:
> >     =E2=80=A2 Debian 11 or later
> >     =E2=80=A2 Ubuntu 22.04 or later
> >
> > Let's say I want to use the L4 microkernel + FreeBSD 14 on my Raspberry
> Pi 4,the first step I did was to build L4Re for the Rpi,according with th=
is
> instructions :
> >

> > http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/L4Re/rpi.html
> >
> > This is the log file of the compilation,that hasn't given any  error :
> >

> > https://pastebin.ubuntu.com/p/6SwN2mpJBM/
> >

> > Or I could have taken a pre built image of the L4 microkernel here :
> >

> > http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/download/snapshots/pre-built-images/arm64/
> >

> > At this point the tutorial says that I should use a Linux distro. They
> suggest the official distro for the Raspberry Pi 4,that's RaspBian. But I
> don't want to use Linux as a userland,I want to use FreeBSD. The question
> now is : what should I do to achieve that goal ? How can I link the L4
> microkernel with the ubldr bootloader of FreeBSD ? Or should I link it to
> the kernel of FreeBSD ? Can someone explain to me the missing step ? than=
ks.

> QUOTING the "Configuring yourself" section:
> The make setup step configures predefined setups for both the L4Re
> microkernel (Fiasco) and the L4Re user-level software, and connects both
> together so the images for the target system can be built.
> END QUOTE
>
> So L4Re has its own user-level software, not just a kernel. There is no
> use of a Linux or FreeBSD user-level software
> when L4Re is booted. (They are just used for building.)
>
> "The host system" is just a host for building the L4Re parts and
> assembling the image from the parts. The "Pulling it together" section is
> about combining the parts (including the microkernel and the user-level
> software) to make the overall image that does not include Linux or FreeBS=

--=20
Mario.

--00000000000019a36f0611206470

mail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sun, Feb 11, 2024 at 7=
:59=E2=80=AFPM Mark Millard &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:marklmi@yahoo.com">marklm=
=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding=
-left:1ex"><br>
On Feb 11, 2024, at 05:44, Mario Marietto &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:marietto200=
8@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">marietto2008@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; I&#39;m trying to understand how to use the L4 Microkernel with a Free=
BSD userland. I&#39;ve asked the same to a L4 developer,but he told me that=
 he does not know FreeBSD,so I&#39;m here to ask the same question. First o=
f all I&#39;m sure that it can be done,because it is written clearly on the=
ir website :<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <a href=3D"http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/L4Re/download/snapshots/" rel=
=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/L4Re/download=
/snapshots/</a><br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; on the section :<br>
&gt; Host system requirements<br>
&gt; The host system shall be a 64bit-based system with a recent Linux dist=
ribution installed and at least 2GB of free disk space.<br>
&gt; All necessary tools required by the build are available from the provi=
ded packages of the Linux distributions, including cross compilers. But the=
re are also other cross compiler packages available (see below). You might =
want to run make check_build_tools in the src/l4 directory to verify the co=
mmon tools are installed.<br>
&gt; You are free to use any Linux distribution you like, or even BSDs or a=
ny of its derivatives. But then you should know the game. Especially tool v=
ersions should be recent, as installed on the listed distributions below.<b=
r>
&gt; We are confident that the snapshot works on the following distribution=
s:<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0=E2=80=A2 Debian 11 or later<br>
&gt;=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0=E2=80=A2 Ubuntu 22.04 or later<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Let&#39;s say I want to use the L4 microkernel + FreeBSD 14 on my Rasp=
berry Pi 4,the first step I did was to build L4Re for the Rpi,according wit=
h this instructions :<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <a href=3D"http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/L4Re/rpi.html" rel=3D"noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/L4Re/rpi.html</a>; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; This is the log file of the compilation,that hasn&#39;t given any=C2=
=A0 error :<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <a href=3D"https://pastebin.ubuntu.com/p/6SwN2mpJBM/" rel=3D"noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">https://pastebin.ubuntu.com/p/6SwN2mpJBM/</a><br>;
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Or I could have taken a pre built image of the L4 microkernel here : <=
br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <a href=3D"http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/download/snapshots/pre-built-im=
ages/arm64/" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://os.inf.tu-dresden.=
de/download/snapshots/pre-built-images/arm64/</a><br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; At this point the tutorial says that I should use a Linux distro. They=
 suggest the official distro for the Raspberry Pi 4,that&#39;s RaspBian. Bu=
t I don&#39;t want to use Linux as a userland,I want to use FreeBSD. The qu=
estion now is : what should I do to achieve that goal ? How can I link the =
L4 microkernel with the ubldr bootloader of FreeBSD ? Or should I link it t=
o the kernel of FreeBSD ? Can someone explain to me the missing step ? than=
ks.<br>
QUOTING the &quot;Configuring yourself&quot; section:<br>
The make setup step configures predefined setups for both the L4Re microker=
nel (Fiasco) and the L4Re user-level software, and connects both together s=
o the images for the target system can be built.<br>
END QUOTE<br>
So L4Re has its own user-level software, not just a kernel. There is no use=
 of a Linux or FreeBSD user-level software<br>
when L4Re is booted. (They are just used for building.)<br>
&quot;The host system&quot; is just a host for building the L4Re parts and =
assembling the image from the parts. The &quot;Pulling it together&quot; se=
ction is about combining the parts (including the microkernel and the user-=
level software) to make the overall image that does not include Linux or Fr=
eeBSD code.<br>
=3D=3D=3D<br>
Mark Millard<br>
marklmi at <a href=3D"http://yahoo.com" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank=