Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 2002 09:37:06 -0400
From:      "Derek" <derek@durham.net>
To:        <Arie.Gerszt@student.unisg.ch>, <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: nat & load balancing

> there are a lot of nat samples which show how to reverse proxy
over
> a farm of web servers but i have some difficulties in getting a
sample to
> work which nat outgoing traffic to the 2 isp's ip assignments,
balancing
> them.

You definately would.  If this is what you intend to do, I would
suggest something like BGP, and dynamic routing, vs. what we've
described.  It is designed to do just what you are describing.
Here's why NAT won't work:

---DSL FROM ISP1> 206.186.2.1 - BSD NAT - Webfarm 10/8
---DSL FROM ISP2> 142.55.33.5 /

Now suppose your DNS is www.mywebfarm.com -> 142.55.33.5

Any request to www.mywebfarm.com will _always_ go through ISP2,
because they have the route to 142.55.33.5.  When it fails, DNS
is too slow to automatically switch to 206.186.2.1.  In a BGP
setup you would have:

Now suppose your DNS is www.mywebfarm.com -> (Purchased Subnet)

---DSL FROM ISP1> 206.186.2.1 - router (Purchased Subnet) -
Webfarm (Purchased Subnet)
---DSL FROM ISP2> 142.55.33.5 /

when ISP1 fails, the router will modify the BGP routing table to
announce all traffic to the Purchased subnet to travel through
ISP2.

In my initial post:

> It could be done easily... you are not doing port
> forwarding (ie, hosting a web server)...

Derek