Date:      Mon, 16 Aug 2004 01:19:31 +0200
From:      Bartosz Fabianowski <freebsd@chillt.de>
To:        Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy@optushome.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-openoffice@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: openoffice-1.1-devel unable to handle some folder names

 > What is your locale set to in FreeBSD?

I haven't explicitly set the locale, so it's the FreeBSD default
(probably en_US). However, I have my keyboard map set to German. Though
that, of course, does not affect the locale.

 > Out of interest, if you create a file from scratch and save it as
 > a name including non-ASCII characters:
 > 1) What is the filename reported by ls?

I created a new document in OOo Writer and saved it as "äöü.sxw". Ls
tells me the file name is "???.sxw", so there definitely is a screw-up
with character coding at that point.

 > 2) Can OOo reopen the file by name?

Yes, OOo can reopen that file. Curiously though OOo also tells me the
file name is "???.sxw". But it's still able to open the file just fine.
That's really puzzling.

Any ideas on what to try?

- Bartosz