Date:      Tue, 7 Dec 2004 20:31:41 +0100
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        "J. W. Ballantine" <jwb@homer.att.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: directory Operation not permitted

--z0eOaCaDLjvTGF2l

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 02:06:27PM -0500, J. W. Ballantine wrote:
> I'm running FreeBSD5-stable and there is a directory named
>  "empty" in the /var/tmp/temproot/var path, created by mergemaster,
>  that will not allow me , as su, to chmod or remove.  Any time I try
>  I get Operation Not Permitted.
>=20
> There doesn't seem to be anything special about it, any thoughts as to
> what is going on with this beast???

It is a directory necessary for sshd. It has filesystem flags set that prev=
ent
it from being removed until the flag is reset, which only the superuser can=
 do
by default (and when the system securelevel is raised, not even the superus=
er
can).

Read up on chflags(1) (the 'schg' flag), init(8) (for securelevels and their
definitions), and ls(1) (for the -o flag to see the flags).

> When I rerun mergemaster and reply yes to the final should I delete the d=
ir.=20
> path, it is removed.

That is because mergemaster does a chflags noschg on the directory before
deleting it.

HTH,

--Stijn

--=20
If today is the first day of the rest of your life, what the hell was
yesterday?

--z0eOaCaDLjvTGF2l

--z0eOaCaDLjvTGF2l--