Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 1995 08:30:42 -0500
From:      "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
To:        Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
Cc:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: socks5

> On Mon, 16 Oct 1995, Michael Smith wrote:
> > Jim Durham stands accused of saying:
> > >
> > > I have a successful port of the socks5 proxy server running. I didn't
> > > see this in the port collection.

I've got a port of socks-4.2.2, that I haven't bothered to commit.
Its got all the clients and server and lib (not shared though).
If you've got a newer/better version of socks running, I'll just
forget the whole thing (socks 4 that is).

I've compiled socks versions of telnet, ftp, ncftp1, popclient, sup,
and perl4.036 (possible others, but I use these frequently).

What does socks5 add?

> > I'd prefer to see the server and libs built by themselves, and the FreeBSD
> > clients (at least telnet and ftp) built using the socks library, rather than
> > using the older sources used in the socks clients.

That'd be a pretty clean way, if we could come up with a -DSOCKS option
for the rest of the system.

I even at one time thought about a socksified libc.so so that
all clients ``just worked'', but never had time to play with it.

> I haven't submitted anything before, so I'm a newbie at the procedure.

No problem, there always seems to be a couple people willing to help
add functionality to the system.

> -Jim Durham

eric.
--