Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 1997 08:01:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Clapper <bmc@WillsCreek.COM>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: time results : how compare ???

Gianmarco Giovannelli wrote:

> I have compiled world twice with different cpu... how can I interpret
> the time (builtin tcsh) results ?
>
> Pentium 233mmx
> 5338.408u 1121.528s 2:09:24.49 85.7% 796+935k 51920+12714io 11107pf+0w
>
> (Amd k6 233mmx)
> 4535.91u 1309.740s 1:55:47.44 1% 735+882k 52356+127852io 11103pf+0w
>

> I can say the second is faster than the first, but there are some
> strange values , i.e. the % value...
>
> What do this numbers say, else ?

Type `man tcsh'.  RTFM.

Here are some relevant excerpts from the REFERENCE section.

In the `Builtin commands' subsection:

       time [command]

               Executes command (which must be a simple command, not an
               alias, a pipeline, a command list or a parenthesized command
               list) and prints a time summary as described under the time
               variable.  If necessary, an extra shell is created to print
               the time statistic when the command completes.  Without
               command, prints a time summary for the current shell and its
               children.

In the `Special shell variables' subsection:

       time    If set to a number, then the `time' builtin executes
               automatically after each command which takes more than that
               many CPU seconds.  If there is a second word, it is used as
               a format string for the output of the time builtin. (u) The
               following sequences may be used in the format string:

               %U  The time the process spent in user mode in cpu seconds.
               %S  The time the process spent in kernel mode in cpu seconds.
               %E  The elapsed (wall clock) time in seconds.
               %P  The CPU percentage computed as (%U + %S) / %E.
               %W  Number of times the process was swapped.
               %X  The average amount in (shared) text space used in Kbytes.
               %D  The average amount in (unshared) data/stack space used
                   in Kbytes.
               %K  The total space used (%X + %D) in Kbytes.
               %M  The maximum memory the process had in use at any time in
                   Kbytes.
               %F  The number of major page faults (page needed to be
                   brought from disk).
               %R  The number of minor page faults.
               %I  The number of input operations.
               %O  The number of output operations.
               %r  The number of socket messages received.
               %s  The number of socket messages sent.
               %k  The number of signals received.
               %w  The number of voluntary context switches (waits).
               %c  The number of involuntary context switches.

               Only the first four sequences are supported on systems
               without BSD resource limit functions.  The default time
               format is `%Uu %Ss %E %P %X+%Dk %I+%Oio %Fpf+%Ww' for
               systems that support resource usage reporting and `%Uu %Ss
               %E %P' for systems that do not.

-----
Brian Clapper, bmc@WillsCreek.COM, http://WWW.WillsCreek.COM/
Lowery's Law: If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.