Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 1995 09:10:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Install feedback

I tried the install, installing using nfs from another system.  Just a
few points:

1. The system (A "Dell Dimension 486DX2/50") hung after trying
to label the disk after saying "Label written successfully".
The debug screen showed:

"<Seeking to byte 0>
 <10>"

and everything was dead except the console key toggle.
I finally had to press the reset button.  I tried it a second time
and it worked fine.

2. In the NFS install it wasn't obvious that I was going to get a
chance to specify the directory the distribution was in (perhaps
I should have realized that) and so I went and changed my export
to specify -alldirs so that I could mount the distribution directory.

3. "fsck -y"?  I was surprised to see that happen automatically every
time you boot.  Why not "fsck -p"?  Having "-y" in there seems like an
invitation to trashing the disks and the naive user assumes everything
is fine since the system did it for them.

Ease of use:

I hesitate to comment on how easy this install was, since I'm not much
of a target.  I thought the disk editing screen would be kind of confusing
to a beginner.  A very nice thing would be a single "Set up for entire
disk" button that assumed the full disk and set everything up for you
with 20MB root, 32 MB swap and the balance /usr.  Even better would be
"Install on entire disk" in the previous screen that would take straight
through to "insert cpio floppy".

More minor:
even when you have only one disk it keeps asking you for which disk.

Another minor point:

We recommend in the README against running on a 386SX.  I hope we keep
our minimal system at 4MB of RAM and potentially a 386SX, at least for
another year or so.  There are applications that can run OK on this.
How about rephrasing this to say "against interactive use on a 386SX" or
something else a little less sweeping?

Peter

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936