Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 1998 10:02:50 +0000
From:      nik@iii.co.uk
To:        ac199@hwcn.org
Cc:        Sean Kelly <kelly@plutotech.com>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [REVIEW] Changes to the DocProj web pages

On Wed, Mar 25, 1998 at 11:55:58PM -0500, Tim Vanderhoek wrote:
> > The only nits I have to pick are comprised of punctuation errors and
> > typos: On the `docproj' page, the second paragraph uses "it's" when it
> > should be "its".  (The paragraph after that one gets it right.)
>
> Yes, and other things such as a farely interesting spelling of
> fairly.  "have got commit privs" should probably be just "have
> commit privs", and "Others haven't got ...": "Others don't
> have", etc.  I'm sure it's possible to find lots of those such
> things...  :-)

Very probably.

FWIW, those pages started out as a ~400 line e-mail to someone who
wanted a few things about the Project explained. After I'd written it
they suggested it should really be more widely available, so I just
stuck from HTML formatting around them and put them up.

This is why the style is less formal than normal. It's also my excuse for
any optional spelling. I had my FxTV window up in one corner, and it was
_Seinfeld_ followed by _The Larry Sanders Show_, so I may have been a bit
distracted (doubling up with laughter does that sometimes :-) )

I've got no problems with changing it. Although I don't want to make it
seem any less inviting. One of the things that's emerged from a couple of
conversations that I've had is that apparently (and this was a surprise to
me) the doc-proj is viewed in some quarters as some remote, forbidding club,
for which you need the special handshake and funny walk to gain access.

> 3)  Obviously doc-set should say a couple things about the actual
> purpose of the Faq and Handbook beyond just "they are
> maintained".  :)

Yep.

> 4)  So long as someone's willing to talk style, may I submit that
> series such as "apple, job, and day" use a comma before the
> "and".  This is probably not what many of the outmoded old-timers
> were taught back in the day, but it's like totally way sexier.

Ah, the serial comma. I normally do. Put it down the lateness of the
hour and the lack of sleep.

> 5)  You sound a little optimistic about finding people willing to
> mark-up submitted plain-text documents.  Would you like me to
> point you to an aging PR submitting just such a plain-text
> document?

Please. Preferably via the list, so someone else can grab it if they
want to.

> [On that topic, what do people think of assigning doc-related PRs
> to the freebsd-doc list (similar to what's done for the
> freebsd-ports list)?  It seems that this is perhaps part of the
> solution to our burgeoning PR list (eventually doing similar
> things for freebsd-fs, etc.).]

Good idea. Very good idea.

I've bounced your comments to my home account, I'll try and get a new
version of the pages up at some point tonight.

Work: nik@iii.co.uk                       | FreeBSD + Perl + Apache
Rest: nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk    | Remind me again why we need
Play: nik@freebsd.org                     | Microsoft?