Date:      Tue, 17 Aug 2004 15:27:17 +0000
From:      "Long Story" <dead_line@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   hosts.allow  Question

Hello everyone,

    Because of the MASS failure tries to connect to my server using random
passwords
    I decided to allow only my IP to access the server.

   I didnot do this before cuz i was worried this restriction will effect
any services running..

    a question:
    If i change hosts.allow to accept only my ip adrs and next line is ALL :
ALL : deny
    is this will effect any performance? such as webmail, smtp or other
connections/services?
    After fixing those lines, I used the webMail to send mail, then an SMTP
error came saying
    (access denied) hmm any hint?

    Example (The IP is an Example):
    ALL : 192.168.0. : allow
    ALL : ALL : deny

    One more stupid question.
    If i want to allow a whole class of ips, shall i write as
    ALL : 192.168.0.* : allow        (using the star)
    OR
    ALL : 192.168.0. : allow      (leave it empty)

    Thanks for the help.
    Marwan.