Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 1996 08:55:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      Keith Leonard <keithl@gil.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ppp problem

With regards to my ppp problem of recent:

I have Mary Shelley'd two script file from various sources and tweeked
them until my fingers bloodied - but they work (I hope not like ole
Frankie and turn on me to my dismay)

The first is a startup file (called ipu) which dials the number and connects
me to my server. You will recognize it as a part of the script file from
the FreeBSD handbook (which wouldn't work for me as printed) - the rest
from various files I have seen in the past.

#!/bin/sh
ps ax | grep pppd | grep -v grep
PID=`ps ax | grep pppd | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}'`

if [ "$PID" = "" ]
then
	pppd connect 'chat -v "" ATDT*server number here* CONNECT ""\
	Name: *login name here* Password: *password here*' \
		/dev/cuaa0 19200 :*my servers IP address here*
fi

Where 'login name here' is I have Name: - which when I make connection is
what I am presented with 'login Name:' yours maybe different eg. 'login:'
make suitable changes. Where 'Password' is same applies.

The next script shuts pppd down:

#!/bin/sh
pid=`ps ax | grep pppd | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1;}'`
if [ X${pid} !="X" ] ; then
	echo 'killing pppd, PID=' ${pid}
	kill -TERM ${pid}
fi

You will note that is is only part of the script fron the handbook but it
seems to work - it closes the connection, cleans up the files, and
terminates the processes.

I have no idea how these work but I figured that the wizards couldn't be
completely wrong and I just followed their lead. If any wizards see fault
with above scripts PLEASE, PLEASE let me know before I trash my machine.

One problem - when I login to check mail or use lynx my screen goes into
reverse video - I don't like - any suggestions????

Thanks
Keith

ps. Yesterdays message was sent from a linux box - todays from a FreeBSD box.