Date:      Sun, 1 Oct 2006 01:50:45 +0400
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@freebsd.org>
To:        Wesley Morgan <morganw@chemikals.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: add "options COMPAT_FREEBSD6" to your kernel config!

--YiEDa0DAkWCtVeE4

On Sat, Sep 30, 2006 at 05:39:02PM -0400, Wesley Morgan wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Oct 2006, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
>=20
> >All,
> >
> >Make sure to add "options COMPAT_FREEBSD6" to your custom kernel
> >config files, or things like X.Org will refuse to work with the
> >new kernel that includes fixed ioctl(2) API.  Recompiling the
> >relevant ports is another option.
>=20
> Other than X what else are we talking about here?
>=20
Basically everything that's using the following ioctls:

consio.h:
	KDSETMODE, KDSBORDER, CONS_SETWINORG, CONS_SETKBD,
	VT_RELDISP, VT_ACTIVATE, VT_WAITACTIVE

kbio.h:
	KDSKBMODE, KDMKTONE, KDSETMODE, KDSBORDER, KDSKBSTATE,
	KIOCSOUND, KDSETRAD

pioctl.h:
	PIOCBIS, PIOCBIC, PIOCSFL, PIOCCONT

ttycom.h:
	TIOCSIG

I don't see much point in recompiling ports except for testing;
just doing it on the next occasion is OK.  It's much easier to
just recompile a kernel, given that COMPAT_FREEBSD6 is in the
GENERIC config, and will certainly be needed for more things as
we approach 7.0-RELEASE.

Cheers,
--=20
Ruslan Ermilov