Date:      Tue, 03 Oct 2006 14:02:01 +0200
From:      Fluffles <etc@fluffles.net>
To:        Rich Wales <richw@richw.org>,  freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SATA-hdd or SATA-controller trouble.

Rich Wales wrote:
> Although it's possible that Anton could be having hardware problems due to
> overheating or other drive flakiness, there have been lots of reports of
> timeout problems with SATA drives on Promise controllers under heavy I/O
> load, from many people, for quite some time now, and I would be surprised
> if they were all due to overheating.

Then it seems that you don't have a hardware problem but a software
problem; i always try to rule out any hardware problems first. That
includes a memory test (like memtest86). It's all too frustrating trying
to isolate a bug which eventually was hardware-related.

But it seems you have a driver problem indeed. All i can say is that i
have no problems with my onboard Promise controller; although its not
processing terribly much data. A different controller and/or software
RAID might be a solution/workaround.

- Veronica