Date:      Sun, 11 Jul 1999 16:40:43 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a BSD identd

In message <37890518.AA3D70F0@gorean.org> Doug writes:
: 	Sure, but I don't think that compromised boxes are the norm, unless I'm
: missing something here.

The response doesn't have to come from the box being asked the
question in order for it to be accepted.  If you can load the box
being asked highly enough, you can sniff the packets from another
machine and then use that knowledge to win the race to make the
connection.  If you win the race, and the target machine responds, its
answer will silently be tossed away.

Warner