Date:      Fri, 21 May 1999 21:51:57 GMT
From:      geo@snarksoft.com (George Mealer)
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Music to code by

On Fri, 21 May 1999 21:47:06 +0000 (GMT), you wrote:

>Sorry, but I just don't get this whole thread; how can anyone code
>at their best while listening to music?  The idea that my phone
>might ring or that someone might show up and demand my attention
>is enough that I can't get to my deepest level of concentration
>due to anticipating the mere possibility of interruption.  My best
>work is always achieved at home or in an office with the door closed.
>
>Is it just that other people don't concentrate very deeply when
>coding, or is it that they just don't code very deeply?
>
>All of the best coders I have known throughout my career go into
>semi-autistic funks --  pacing, rocking backward and forward in their
>chairs, etc. -- while producing their best code.
>
>Bill Gates is reputed to rock back and forth in his chair like
>Dustin Hoffman in "Rain Man" when he is concentrating deeply upon
>some subject (coding, taking money from little old ladies, whatever).

=46or me, it depends on the music.  My usual tastes run towards very
baroque power/death/black metal, but that's generally too complicated
and distracting for me to code to.  On the other hand, trance,
industrial, or even hard rock with predictable boogie rhythms are
fine.  What's more amusing is that when I really get into it, I type
in beat with the music.

However, to answer the original question, today's a light coding day
so it's Skyclad, Blind Guardian, and Gamma Ray.

Geo
--
George Mealer
geo@snarksoft.com

"Let your mind wander...it may never come back." -- Skyclad