Date:      Fri, 26 Jun 1998 09:18:19 -0600
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@plutotech.com>
To:        nik@iii.co.uk
Cc:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New home page design

> Keep the very first page short and sweet.

A great idea.  The page is visited as a jumping-off point for users who
know what they're after, but also by people who ask questions such as
the recent ``Is it an ISP?  A database?''  We can make the introductory
page accomodate both types.  I hope.

>                            Welcome to FreeBSD

Or just the FreeBSD logo with the Power to Serve motto.

>       In order to be as useful as possible, the information on this
>       web site has been arranged in a number of different ways, based
>       upon the information you need.

I think this paragraph can be omitted, as the design itself should make
the intent clear.

>          * Prospective User
>
>            You've heard about FreeBSD, and want to know more. Learn
>            all about FreeBSD, what it is, how to install it and related
>            information in these pages.

This sounds good, except that many people who have no idea what FreeBSD
is will want instant gratification: that is, they don't want to click
any deeper into the web site than necessary to answer the basic question
of what the heck this is all about.  Rather than label it Prospecitve
User, I think it'd be better to up-front say what FreeBSD is and let the
short explanatory paragraph turn the ``just visitors visiting'' into
prospective users.  For example:

	ABOUT FREEBSD

	FreeBSD is a robust, high-power, Internet-ready,
	Unix-like operating system for PCs.  If you're a
	prospective user, you can learn more about FreeBSD,
	how to install it

Here, either ``learn more,'' or the heading, or both are hyperlinks to
text that's similar to the current home page: this gives the interested
user an executive summary of the cutting edge features, the powerful
Internet solutions that FreeBSD providese, the applications it runs.  In
essence, it goes to what is now the current homepage.

>          * Problems installing
>
>            If you're having problems during your installation of FreeBSD,
>            these pages contain concise links to errata, Frequently Asked
>            Installation Questions and related information.

This is good, too, but I wince a bit at having the word ``problems'' in
a heading.  In reality, people will experience problems.  But this is
the web.  There is no reality.  I'd suggest instead:

	DOWNLOADING AND INSTALLING FREEBSD

	You'll find help on installing FreeBSD in the following:
	* How To Install FreeBSD
	* Frequently Asked Questions
	* Errata

I'm using a bulleted list here to help accomodate the user having
trouble with the installation.  Less reading.  Links directly to what's
needed.

>          * Installed User
>
>            You've installed FreeBSD. Discover how to install new ports and
>            packages, how to configure your system, and how to configure
>            printing, PPP, file sharing and more.

I'm really liking this idea of dividing the page into the different
types of users!  I'm just worried that people might misjudge what kind
of users they are, and that's why I'm rewriting your headings.  (Plus,
what does it mean to install a user? :-)

	RUNNING & CONFIGURING FREEBSD

	Once you've installed FreeBSD, discover how to install
	new applications and programs, how to configure your
	system, and set up printing, PPP, networking, file
	sharing, and more.

>          * Developer / Contributor
>
>            For active FreeBSD developers and contributors.

Looks good.

And finally, there's no reason why the really advanced user should have
to click several levels to get where s/he wants to go.  We can keep the
``web map'' bar which has all of the major links as a quick-access
method.

--Sean