Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 2021 17:54:20 +1030
From:      Daniel O'Connor via hackers <hackers@freebsd.org>
To:        Daniel Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
Cc:        freebsd- <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: usb serial - need quirk?

> On 29 Nov 2021, at 17:35, Daniel Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il> wrote:
>>> it=E2=80=99s the last line that I think is causing failure to flash =
the device (probably needs the break to set the speed?)
>>=20
>> Why would it need break to set the speed?
> don=E2=80=99t know, but I=E2=80=99ve seen in the past serial stuff =
that needed the break to synchronize.
>>=20
>>> any ways, is there some fix for this?
>>=20
>> You didn't actually post the problem you are having so it's =
impossible to say :)
>> I assume esptool fails but it would be helpful if you posted the =
output.
> the flashing  keeps failing with:
> Chip is ESP32-C3 (revision 3)
> Features: Wi-Fi
> Crystal is 40MHz
> MAC: 7c:df:a1:a3:61:74
> Uploading stub...
>=20
> A fatal error occurred: Failed to write to target RAM (result was =
01070000)
>>=20
>> I haven't used an ESP32-C3 but all of the other ESP's don't have USB =
built in so it depends what USB UART you have on your board - any idea =
which one it it?
> all the other esp32 I have work fine, it=E2=80=99s this esp32c3 that =
fails.
> anyways, i got hold of a ttl to usb from m5stack, and after some =
fiddling got it to flash!
> this chip is CP2104,
> so the problem seems to be in the driver for the unknown chip on this =
esp32c3 - no
> indication in the diagrams, nor can I read the micro words on the chip =
:-(

I had a look at the ESP32-C3 datasheet and it *does* have a USB =
interface built in and it talks about a CDC-ACM virtual serial port =
which matches what you see.

The only ACM quirk I can see is UQ_ASSUME_CM_OVER_DATA so you could try =
that I suppose..
(See the usb_quirk man page)

--
Daniel O'Connor