Date:      Sun, 13 Nov 2016 11:12:25 +0100
From:      "John W. Kitz" <John.Kitz@xs4all.nl>
To:        <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: How to change MAC address on RPI-B?

Reiner,

thanks a lot.

I'm not sure, but I think, that it is this one: LAN9512-JZX

I am using an RPI-B plus. The LAN chip on all boards seems to be =
identical.

http://elinux.org/RaspberryPi_Boards

So the data sheet should be here:

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/devicedoc/9512.pdf

JKi: The information on those sites seems quite conclusive and =
authoritative, so I'm quite sure you are right on that.

For sure, this NIC support locally administered MAC addresses.
I can set the MAC address on the same RPi in Linux without problems.

JKi: I don't know if you mentioned that it does work using Linux in any =
of the previous posts, if you did I must have overlooked it.

Setting the second-least-significant bit of the first octet of the =
address sounds really interesting to me. Do you think its a problem with =
the driver and FreeBSD kernel, if this bit is set to 0. I was using =
00:1f:ca, which is the Vendor ID of Cisco. Maybe this could be relevant.
I will try to set something different, who the significant bit is one.

But I don't think, that's because of the hardware, because everything =
works fine in Linux. But I guess, if I try to set the same MAC address, =
which is "burned in", than I will lose network connection, too. Never =
tried it, only a variation of the last octet. This only work in =
promiscuous mode.
=09
JKi: I don't know if strict adherence to the specification with regards =
to the U/L bit when choosing the locally administered MAC address you're =
going to use is going to make any difference in it working or not. You =
would have to test that on your Pi or you'd have to give it a try on a =
Linux installation.

JKi: That having been mentioned; from experience I wouldn't be surprised =
if it doesn't matter. If my memory serves me right my colleagues and I =
used to adhere to it when choosing locally administered MAC addresses, =
but this was mostly in IEEE 802.5 networks which by design tended to be =
less forgiving (hence my remarks about functional MAC addresses), =
especially in the early years.

JKi: Over the years I have noticed many times that not all products =
adhere to relevant specifications and standards as strictly as others =
do, which accounts for numerous interoperability incidents and problems =
in many an IT department around the world.

JKi: The only thing I can say is that the Wikipedia article appears to =
be correct with respect to this; I verified it with against the content =
on this topic of a number of different books I have.
=20
BTW: The RPi isn't professional, but a nice thing to play around with =
and learn.

JKi: I didn't intend to imply anything by mentioning that the Pi =
probably wasn't designed with the professional market in mind other than =
just that. There are numerous examples to be found on the Internet of =
articles which discuss (clusters of) cheap hardware like the Pi, which =
do an excellent job in (research) projects at various universities =
around the globe.

It isn't really fast, especially the first one, but most of simple =
services work on it.

JKi: This is exactly why I'm pleased to see that with 11.0 the first =
FreeBSD images intended for use on those platforms have been released.

I've heard from some HAM radio amateurs in Berlin, that they are using =
an RPi as a relay and it works great.

JKi: I recently watched this =
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DvfaNtwsEk1A) video in which a Pi was =
shown briefly.

Best regards,
Reiner

On 12.11.2016 22:01, John W. Kitz wrote:
> Reiner,
>=20
> I don't know which chipset provides for the Ethernet interface on the=20
> Pi that you are using, but based on the remark "The=20
> sys/dev/usb/net/if_smsc.c driver needs a patch to set the mac address=20
> runtime." by Hans Petter in one of the emails on the freebsd-arm=20
> distribution list I'm assuming it is most likely the SMSC =
LAN9514/LAN9514i.