Date:      Wed, 25 Nov 1998 09:20:52 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        "Gravel, Emmanuel (AZ77)" <Emmanuel.Gravel@CAS.honeywell.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Back-UPS software

This is kind of off topic, but here goes... ;-)

"Gravel, Emmanuel (AZ77)" wrote:

> I've looked around for upsd type software.  The only two
> solutions I've seen up to now are upsd for SmartUPS
> and bkpupsd for Back-UPS PRO (and PRO only).
>
> I need to be able to gracefully shut down my FreeBSD
> box if the power goes down (that's it, that's all, no need
> to send anything in the network to shut anything else
> off).  According to the info for bkpupsd, it only supports
> it in dumb mode, with none of the advanced features.
> Can anyone tell me what that means exactly

AFAIK - it means the UPS (and bkupsd) will deal with 'help, mains has failed'
- and 'I'm running out of batteries - shutdown' and 'Mains is back' type
messages... What it won't do is tell you all the gory details like the max/min
voltages seen in the last 5 minutes, what the line frequency is (e.g. 60Hz)
etc. - but you will need to check this by findind some documentation /
contacts for bkupsd...

> [snip]
> And what about the lower-end Back-UPS?
> Is there a big difference on the way they work (after
> all they do come with the serial cable...)  I was
> looking at the Back-UPS 500 as a solution.

I think most the BackUPS are the same - except as they get bigger they last
longer, and you may find some have use-replaceable batteries, or facilities
for adding more batteries to the system to get longer life etc... The APC site
(www.apcc.com) will have more details,

Regards,

Karl