Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 17:27:44 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Scott <sginn@thuntek.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Internet through NIC

On Fri, Sep 19, 1997 at 12:56:02AM -0600, Scott wrote:
> Hello my family was planning on running a FreeBSD box that handles our
> Internet for our 2 computers (instead of running a proxy on one computer)
> and we were wondering if there was a way to connect to the FreeBSD machine
> through the Network interface card and start a PPP session like you do with
> most ISP's that running FreeBSD? If so, i was wondering if you could
> explain the procedure or point us in the direction in finding the
> information. Thank you.

Nothing simpler than that.  Well, maybe some things simpler than that,
but it's not difficult.  The way to do it rotates around the number of
Internet addresses you get.  If your ISP gives you a static IP address
for each system, it's child's play.  You do

 sysctl -w net.inet.ip.forwarding=1

and the FreeBSD box will forward anything from the other machines
which has the appropriate address to the Net.

Things are slightly more complicated when you have to fake addresses.
I'm currently working on a book which will include this topic; would
you like to try out the instructions and help me debug them?

Greg