Date:      Thu, 20 Aug 1998 16:45:39 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Joe <jeroyce@athena.ualr.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Newbies List <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: New to FreeBSD

On Thu, Aug 20, 1998 at 01:05:36AM -0500, Joe wrote:
> Sue Blake wrote:
>
> > Learning C isn't really a FreeBSD topic, but it's a closely related
> > interest of many newbies. Write to me off the list if you want to
> > discuss the details or tell me why it won't work.
>
>  Not true. Have you checked out the hackers list? They speak in C. They're trying
> to solve the 64 bit time_t problem right now. And you thought our little flame
> wars were bad.

Hehe. Well, in -hackers it's related specifically to working on
FreeBSD, and they happen to do it with C for obvious reasons.
I wouldn't expect to go to a fashion show and watch sexy sewing
machines wheeling themselves along the catwalk, would you? (Actually,
I'd be much more interested in the machines but you might prefer women.)

If help with learning C belongs in any list, it'd be freebsd-questions.
Freebsd-newbies is completely non-technical so it doesn't belong here
once it gets past naming study resources and general approaches like
whether to do a part time course or not.

The project I referred to, if it proceeds, is one of my few activities
that is not a freebsd-related project, and there is a separate forum
for its discussion. Be prepared to be nice to users of "inferior"
operating systems :-)

> I'm in a data structures class right now; I would be glad to discuss learning to
> program in C, what little I know.

Great! I haven't seen beginner questions on C programming exercises in
freebsd-questions yet, but if others there believe that it should be a
part of FreeBSD support then I'm sure your assistance would be
appreciated in freebsd-questions. I know, for example, that occasional
unix quesitons are dealt with but generally people go to unix
newsgroups for that and leave -questions more for FreeBSD stuff.

If any of the Wise Ones who keep freebsd-questions running happen to be
lurking and have an opinion, please pipe in because I can't speak for
how far you are prepared to go.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-