Date:      Wed, 5 May 2004 09:43:26 -0500
From:      "David H. Ingham" <dingham@opencominc.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Newbie question regarding Virtual Hosts setup

Hopefully, a simple question.

=20

I have set up a FreeBSD server to develop a web app for a client.

my system is:

=20

            FreeBSD                       Version 5.2

            Apache             Version 2.0.47

            MySQL             Version 4.0.16

            MySQLCC                     Version 0.9.3

            PHP                 Version 4.3.3

=20

Now I am able to create the pages, (using Quanta 3.1.4).but I cannot =
view
them=20

from anywhere except the FreeBSD box.

 =20

Before I upgraded from FreeBSD 4.9 to 5.2, I could get to the site from =
my
W2K system,=20

using a VirtualHost setting and browsing to =
http://10.0.0.27:5000/login.php

=20

In the httpd.conf file, I had the following setup:

=20

            nameserver FreeBee.reddwarf

=20

            Listen 5000

=20

            <VirtualHost 10.0.0.27:5000>

                        ServerAdmin      david@www.helpdesk.com

                        DocumentRoot   =
/usr/local/apache2/htdocs/helpdesk

                        ServerName       www.helpdesk.com

                        ErrorLog            logs/helpdesk-error_log

                        TransferLog       logs/helpdesk-transfers_log

            </VirtualHost>

=20

=20

This seemed to work fine, as I was able to get to the page from my W2K
system,=20

and I have duplicated these settings in the current setup. =20

(I have also tried numerous other settings)

=20

When I try to connect to the site now (after upgrading to 5.2), I get =
"could
not connect to host 10.0.027:5000"

=20

My network is setup:

=20

            10.10.1.1                       -Domain Controller    W2K =
Server

            10.0.0.1 - 10.0.0.100     -Windows Clients  (mine is =
10.0.0.1)

            10.0.0.27                       -FreeBSD box (This is set up
with DHCP)

=20

I believe I have to set up something in the hosts file, but I cannot =
seem to
find=20

anything on the Apache or FreeBSD sites that really relate to the =
problems I
am having. =20

I have searched for the last 4 days with no success..

=20

Currently, my hosts file looks like this:

=20

            ::01                   localhost FreeBee.reddwarf

            127.0.0.1           localhost FreeBee.reddwarf

            10.0.0.27           FreeBee FreeBee.reddwarf

            10.10.1.1           DTServer DTServer.reddwarf

            10.0.0.1            Bruno Bruno.reddwarf

=20

=20

FreeBee is the name of the FreeBSD box,  DTServer is my Domain =
Controller
box,=20

and Bruno is my workstation.  reddwarf is the domain (LAN only)

=20

All of these boxes are behind my router, and function solely as a LAN. =20

I can get to the internet through the router (10.0.0.6).

=20

My resolv.conf file is written by dhclient, and points to 10.10.1.1:

=20

            search reddwarf

            nameserver 10.10.1.1

=20

This works fine for browsing from the FreeBSD box, and I can get to any
website I want to,

but I have seen some articles/mails on freebsd.org that suggest this =
needs
to=20

include something else to resolve FreeBee.

=20

My rc.conf file is:

=20

            hostname=3D"FreeBee.reddwarf"