Date:      Sun, 26 Aug 2001 09:02:34 -0700
From:      Slim <jallen@aviating.com>
To:        Kevin Golding <kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        Dan Look <dan@electriccheese.com>, ITServices@cableinet.co.uk, Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, joel2a@yahoo.com
Subject:   Re: Microsoft bashers

There's no point, nothing to be gained, by bashing anybody who
contributed to the buildup of the computer business to where it is
today.

In 1970, there were no computers available for personal use, except on
an extremely limited scale, guys getting used micro computers being
upgraded to main frames mostly.  The relatively small part of the
population who had ever seen a computer in real life had no dream of
ever actually owning one themselves.  I certainly did not.  Then the
Intel chips started appearing.  We bought these small one board devices
with 1K of memory and no I/O other than a hex keyboard and 8 segment
tubes, and wrote programs in 1s and 0s, because there were no
assemblers.  Oh, you could write in the chip's command set and assemble
it by hand if you wanted, or just eliminate the middle step.  This was
in the mid-70's.  BYTE Magazine made it's appearance about this time.

I bought an Apple IIp in about 1976 or 77, with 16K of memory, cassette
tape I/O and a RF converter to use a TV set for a screen.  It came with
a BASIC interpreter built in, and a game on cassette called "Little
Brickout".  That was all the software there was.  I think it cost about
$1,500 at a time when you could buy a new Volvo for about $4,500!  A few
years later, I was able to buy a newly introduced 5.25 floppy, for about
$1400, IIRC.  No hard drives at this point.  There were enthusiasts all
over the country, spending their evenings in their workshops and back
bedrooms tinkering, trying to figure out how to make something useful
out of these little devices.  This fellow in Albuquerque was selling
micro-processors in kit form which could be built into a real working
computer, the Altair, and another outfit was selling Imsai's, with
lights and switches covering the front panel for I/O.  Apples were the
slickest, and came ready to use right out of the box... but for what?

There were no I/O devices except cassette tapes, and paper tape, so the
first order of business was to write some code to load a paper tape
loader.  You flipped switches to input that program byte by byte until
you had it all in memory, then hit the "Run" switch.  If you had miss
flipped one switch, it crashed and you had to do it all over again.  The
hero at the computer society back then was a guy who came up with a
paper tape loader that only took 28 bytes down from about 60.  Much less
switch flipping!  The first hackers!  With an Apple, you eliminated all
that, BTW.

I still have around here somewhere the patent application which told how
to take an ordinary IBM Selectric typewriter and rig it up for use as a
printer.  You guys would fall down laughing to see what a kluge this
was, but there was almost nothing else, and Selectrics were plentiful,
if not cheap.  I think they weighed over a hundred pounds, too.

Some of the more active creative types gradually figured out how to make
some money from their avocation, supplying parts and supplies and
machines and know-how to the rest of us.  Some hung on and eventually
made good money, others came and went.  There was an amazing mix of
people involved, barely teens to BHOF's, all brought together by a
shared enthusiasm to innovate, learn, create and make something of these
wonderful new devices.  This was an evolutionary process, maybe even a
series of closely spaced mini revolutionary processes happening
asynchronously and very disorderly.

There wasn't much practical use for these things in the early days.  No
database managers, no spread sheets, no accounting, no Wizard and
Princess, no nothing.  The first software packages were dreadful,
exceeded in their complexity only by their uselessness.  The term "user
friendly" was unheard of, and unpracticed.  Documentation was pathetic,
setting the standard which persists to this day.

Things started to really get in gear when the guy came up with
VisiCalc.  This was a real revolution, the first mass software to make a
real impact.  Things were different after Visicalc than they were
before... much different.  Now you could actually DO something useful
with your computer without being a white coated computerwizard.
Accountants, real estate investors, stock brokers, gas station owners,
etc. started to acquire Apple II's like crazy.  A few stories in the
Wall Street Journal and such like places, and pretty soon there began to
be rumors that IBM was coming up with a micro-processor.  The term
"Personal Computer" or PC was first introduced after a vigorous debate
about what to call these things, since "micro-processor" seemed so
clumsy and unmarketable.

While all this was going on, and fermenting, there were these two
snot-nosed punks, one of whom had written a BASIC interpreter, but they
didn't have a machine to try it on.  They wrote it solely from the chip
manual, the Intel 8080 chip, I believe it was.  They called this guy at
Altair in Albuquerque and asked if they could come down and try it.
They could, he said, they did and it ran the first time..... no
debugging required.  Those two were Bill Gates and Paul Allen.

I still laugh every time I think of this Senior VP at IBM who made the
decision whether to exercise IBM's option to acquire all rights to the
MS-DOS operating system for $100,000, and who decided that $100,000 was
an awful lot of money to be paying these teenagers!  The Bill Buckner of
computing!!!  We ought to be g**d**** glad he didn't pay.

The purpose of all this is not so much to defend Gates and Allen, but
rather to make the point that there is no place, no call, for bashing of
anyone, especially by guys who have accomplished next to nothing in
advancing the state of computing.  It is simply inappropriate, and
frankly seems to be used mostly to build up the basher's ego by
belittling the bashee.  We have reached the point where we are by the
efforts, and intelligence, and creativity, and more than a few missteps,
of all of us, some more so than others.

It's not nice, and it makes the basher look stupid to those of us with a
longer horizon.  If there is any bashing that needs to be done, it would
be most appropriately done by the people who have accomplished the great
things, the Gate's, Allens, Jobs and Wozniaks, those software guys, the
guys who thought up, perfected and popularized the internet.  If you are
not among them, maybe you ought to keep your mouth shut until you are.
Quitcherbitchin, and be glad these genius's have provided you with such
delightful devices to play with, and probably more than a few jobs
(employment, not Steve).

Slim