Date:      Mon, 6 Aug 2001 01:06:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Erik Rothwell <erothwell@callgtn.com>
To:        Carl Drougge <freebsd-stable@z42.net>
Cc:        Erik Rothwell <erothwell@callgtn.com>, <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ad2s1e: UDMA ICRC error reading fsbn...

On Sun, 5 Aug 2001, Carl Drougge wrote:

> I would say the cable. Or using UDMA66/UDMA100 on a 40 pin cable.
> (ICRC should be the CRC of the tranfer, if I guess correctly, which means
> the disk transfered the data correctly, but it didn't reach the controller
> correctly. Try forcing it to use a slower mode (not that I know how..).)

The disk _appears_ to work correctly in PIO4 mode... but 16MB/s isn't
anything to scream about. I was using an 80-conductor, 40-pin cable on my
bootdisk (ad0, 20GB), but, I switched the cables originally so that the
ATA66/100 cable is on the 40GB drive.

Everything works beautifully in PIO4, but, that's sort of a hollow victory
considering how slow that works... and, what's strange is that even with
the plethora of errors I reported-- the read/writes still complete & the
data is all there.

Is there any way to rule out if it is the disk or the software? My BIOS is
set to LBA mode, UDMA is enabled for ata1-master there (if it matters)...

Erik.

--
E. L. Rothwell

PGP Public Key at http://www.keyserver.net/