Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 2002 10:54:51 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        Brian Candler <B.Candler@pobox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS clearing attribute cache in nfs_open

* Brian Candler <B.Candler@pobox.com> [020426 10:15] wrote:

> Now, there is obviously some "consistency" issue to beware of. Are there any
> NFS gurus out there who can say why it is necessary to clear the attribute
> cache on _every_ open? Could it safely be made less restrictive, e.g. don't
> clear the cache when opening a file for read? I think there are some
> potentially large performance gains for diskless server clusters, where the
> same file is being repeatedly exec()'d.

Open()s should be as consistant as possible, this requires a cache flush.

However, If you were to make this a tunable (defaults to off) I
would commit it.

If you can show that Solaris caches open()s as well I'd be ok with
turning it on by default. :)

--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]
Tax deductible donations for FreeBSD: http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/