Date:      Fri, 8 Aug 2014 15:28:17 -1000
From:      Kent Kuriyama <kent.kuriyama@gmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   =?UTF-8?Q?Re=3A_Information_needed_for_Dolch_386_portable_comput?= =?UTF-8?Q?er_1985=C2=B4s_with?=

Krisztina,

Al Plant's advice works if you are able to boot into single user mode.
 When you boot your Dolch you should be given the option to boot either
single or multi-user.  Booting into single user will give you a shell
prompt at which point you are 'root'.  Mount the file system as Al advises
and you can then reset the root password.

If for some reason you can't boot into single user mode then you try
booting a version of the FreeBSD CD ROM into 'repair mode' and then mount
the Dolch's hard drive to reset the password.  Old versions of FreeBSD are
available at:

http://ftp-archive.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD-Archive/old-releases/i386/ISO-IM=
AGES/

You should really question why you need to get into the existing FreeBSD
installation of the Dolch.  It only makes sense if you want to recover
files.

Kent