Date:      Fri, 4 Jun 1999 13:53:49 -0400
From:      Bryan Fullerton <bryanf@samurai.com>
To:        Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SSH2 (in FreeBSD-Questions)

On Fri, Jun 04, 1999 at 08:19:08AM -0700, Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com> wrote:
> >The problem is that we never now what SUID, port will install!
>
> Not only "what SUID" but "where" as well.  Ports may be one the best
> things about FreeBSD but there's still _plenty_ of room for
> improvement.
>
> One thing ports don't do well is install themselves in predictable
> locations.  Instead you'll find them installing files in
> /usr/local/etc, /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/sbin, /usr/local/libexec,
> /var, etc.  When I install ssh2 I want it all under /usr/local/ssh.
> This alone is a good reason to use ports sparingly (after reviewing the
> patches).

Agreed, though I don't mind ssh being dropped in /usr/local/bin and
/usr/local/sbin, since that's where the non-port install drops them.  I do
prefer the config stuff to be put in /etc/ssh2 instead of /usr/local/etc/ssh2,
though - I'm not sure if this is a compile time option or not (I'll admit, I
haven't checked - it's not *that* big a deal for me).

However, both ssh ports are a version behind, and that version was released
on May 13th.  Is there an update in the pipe somewhere?

Bryan

--
Bryan Fullerton                http://www.samurai.com/
Core Competency