Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 1998 01:45:55 -0700
From:      Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>
To:        Norman C Rice <nrice@emu.sourcee.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Users can't open console

On Thu, Sep 10, 1998 at 12:01:20AM -0400, Norman C Rice wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 09, 1998 at 07:34:13PM -0700, Gregory Sutter wrote:
> >
> > This does indeed work.  Thanks, Norman.  It only solves half my
> > problem, though.  I have an X server and want to, upon startup of
> > the server, open an xconsole on the local machine and on another
> > machine in the local network, both of which display on the X server.
> > Now the first xconsole works properly, but the second still does
> > not, because I'm not opening the console on any tty, but just with
> > the command:
> > rsh notabene '/usr/X11R6/bin/xconsole -verbose -display edge:0.0'
> >
> Can you telnet or rlogin to notabene and launch xconsole
> successfully? ``/usr/X11R6/bin/xconsole -display unix:0''

Sure, but the only way it successfully opens the console is if I
run it as root.  The program itself executes fine; I'm having no
trouble with that part.  It just doesn't have permission to open
the console device.

> Ensure that notabene's /etc/fbtab contains
>
>    /dev/ttyv0       0600      /dev/console

It does, but unlike edge (the X box), where the xconsole (run with
the exact same command line sans the rsh command, and having the
same line in the /etc/fbtab file), on which the xconsole is
attached to a terminal,

edge gsutter ~ $ps -ax | grep xconsol[e]
  903  v0  S      0:00.10 xconsole

on notabene, the xconsole is not attached to any terminal.

notabene gsutter ~ $ps -ax | grep xconsol[e]
18547  ??  I      0:01.20 /usr/X11R6/bin/xconsole

Therefore the fbtab line is not applied.  Is there a way around
this, other than executing the xconsole command as root?

Greg
--
Gregory S. Sutter                     My reality check just bounced.
mailto:gsutter@pobox.com