Date:      Tue, 07 Dec 1999 22:05:58 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Latest laptop recommendations

> > > [ I don't know if this could be causing problems, but the USB ifc, which
> > >   I'm *not* using, is using the same IRQ as the sound ifc.
> > >   Unfortunately, there seems to be no way (from the BIOS) to either
> > >   disable the USB port (not that I'd want to) or change the IRQs used by
> > >   the USB or sound devices.  ]
> >
> > That's correct, and I'm trying to find someone at Dell to bitch about it
> > to.  OSS doesn't know how to share interrupts on FreeBSD at the moment
> > either, making it somewhat worse.
>
>      What's interesting is that my old Omnibook, which uses the same
> kind of Phoenix BIOS (but *older*), and allows one to enable/disable the
> USB and sound devices, as well as control their resources (port, IRQ,
> etc.).

Yeah.  This seems to have a lot to do with Dell's ideas about who buys
their laptops.  Eg. the Inspiron is meant to have big disks, big
displays, but no connectivity and limited "technical" features.  If you
read between the lines, it sounds like it's meant to be the "manager"
model, and the performance is purely coincidental. 8(