Date:      Fri, 24 May 1996 22:41:58 +0100 (WET)
From:      af@biomath.jussieu.fr (Alain Fauconnet)
To:        mrcpu@cdsnet.net (Jaye Mathisen)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to send "start unit" to disk during boot?

> Well, the adaptec bios will send a start unit if you set it up that way in
> the ^A stuff, which seems the simplest, unless I missed something
> previous.

You did :-) The Adaptec BIOS will only send a start command if  it  is
configured to remain resident (sounds stupid to me, but that's the way
it is). I want to maximize upper memory for DOS  usage  (yuck)  so  my
AHA2940 is configured without BIOS => no start unit.

J"org, I promise I will attempt to figure out what goes wrong  in  the
driver  with  RZ  disks  as soon as I manage to get a reliable machine
from my vendor. First motherboard gave "cc1 got signal 11" when  doing
intensive SCSI I/O, the newer one just plains reboot without a message
when  swapping  occurs  (or  it  is  intensive  graphics I/O ?) *sigh*

Again, thanks for your time,
_Alain_

--
Alain FAUCONNET    Ingenieur systeme - System Manager     AP-HP/SIM
Public Health                91 bld de l'Hopital 75013 PARIS FRANCE