Date:      Sat, 9 Mar 2002 16:10:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        sparc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   How to increase kernel VM?

I've been running Jake's March 7th kernel (once I finally copied it
into the right location), and noted that the kernel memory limits seem
absurdly low -- so low, in fact, that my Ultra 5 has deadlocked in
`cvs co' several times as a result of running into the kmem limit for
FFS nodes:

     FFS node  8467  4234K   4670K  6144K    35726    0     0  512

This machine thought that maxvnodes ought to be 19275, which would
have required at least 9640K of memory just for FFS nodes.

Things seem to be working reasonanbly now that I have lowered
maxvnodes to 8192, and vnlru appears to actually be running, but I
would obviously prefer to have a more reasonably-sized kernel malloc
arena.

-GAWollman