Date:      Mon, 09 Jun 1997 08:57:26 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
Cc:        darkstar@telcentral.net (Mark Rollings), dg@root.com, yossman@yoss.canweb.net, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftpd security weakness on FreeBSD (fwd)

> Mark Rollings wrote:
> | Above any of the below mentioned deficiencies in the ftpd, CERT recently
> | released an advisory on the ftpd for practically all OS's.  The replacement
> | mentioned below is not satisfactory in order to properly prevent attacks
> | covered in the advisory.  wu-ftp-2.4.2-beta-13 is the correct ftpd to
> | compile for FreeBSD based machines.  The advisory can be found in complete
> | form at CERT.   www.cert.org.
>
> 	Could I suggest that the FTPd from logdaemon, which is small,
> feature poor, and probably more secure than WU-ftpd would be a more
> appropriate default?  People who need the functionality of WU can
> install it, those that dont't get a smaller, more appropriate tool.

Another good ftpd daemon is anonftpd.  It only supports anonymous ftp and a
subset of features.  Sites offering an anonymous ftp service could use the
anonftpd daemon for anonymous use while running the FreeBSD daemon (or
better yet the Kerberos V daemon) behind a TCP/Wrapper off another port.

> Adam

UNIX Support                   OV/VM:  BCSC02(CSCHUBER)
ITSD                          BITNET:  CSCHUBER@BCSC02.BITNET
Government of BC            Internet:  cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca
                                       cschuber@bcsc02.gov.bc.ca
                                       Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca